Next club events
Look for events in the Google Event calendar listing, and in the weekly emails via the Google Group Posts for specific event details [subscribe below].
Port Chalmers 90-minute rogaine
Urban and green belt areas in and around the port.
Saturday May 4th 2019, 10.30 am - 12 noon
Solos or teams welcome. Please carry a mobile phone for safety (and leave your number during the registration process).
If you plan to attend, please email email@example.com or click "Going" on this Facebook page so that I can guess how many maps to print.
- Registration and payment: 9.30 am -10.15 am (please don’t all turn up at the last minute!)
- Map handout 10.15 am
- Briefing: 10.25 am
- Mass start: 10.30 am
- Finish: 12 pm
- Grassy area next to 52 Albertson Avenue.
- Lots of parking on Albertson Avenue, Wickliffe Terrace, and surrounding streets.
COST (pay on the day with registration):
- Adults $10.
- Under-18s and students $5.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- The usual stuff to keep you warm and nourished for 90 minutes.
- Pen/Pencil to write down control codes and answers.
- A family-friendly rogaine with a mix of urban, parks, and green belt. Don't be fooled in to thinking it's easy - there are lots of steep tracks in the area!
- Scale 1:10,000 (i.e. 1 cm = 100 m). The map will have the look of a simple orienteering map (with a legend to explain a few symbols). Information has been derived from the standard Topo50 map, aerial photos and GPS tracks.
CONTROLS AND SCORING:
- There will be 30 controls pre-marked on the map, each with a control number that determines the value (i.e. all the 10’s are worth 10 points, all the 20’s are worth 20 points, and all the 30’s are worth 20 points). Controls will either be orange/white plastic cards attached to obvious features (trees, footbridges etc.), or easy questions that you have to answer (e.g. number on power pole).
- Your total points will be determined by the controls you visited minus 10 points for every minute late.